Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Role models are for brainless mooks, and here's why!

There was once a time when a young lad or lassie would aspire to great heights. "I want to be just like Jackie Kennedy," said the lassies (and a few of the more flamboyant lads). Alas, the time has come to put away this foolish practice of "role models," and I will tell you why.
I don't have any role models. Surely, I have influences (Grant Morrison, Joss Whedon, Douglas Adams, Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell, the Barenaked Ladies) but no person I aspire to be like, because, frankly, I don't want to be just like someone else, I want to be just like me, and the best me I can be. I don't want to assume someone else's role, I want to fill my role.
When our society prized itself on conformity, well, we had role models. But conformity is for idiots and Republicans (badum-bum!) and we don't need that crap anymore. Everyone should prize themselves on individuality.
For God's sake, don't be like me. Be like yourself.

No comments: